Some trends to keep an eye on tonight as Maryland battles Clemson at Comcast Center.
- Clemson has never won consecutive road games against Maryland, a span of 61 games going back to 1938
- Clemson is 1-4 on the road in the ACC this season, their only win a 73-70 game at N.C. State
- Clemson is 7-2 in their last nine games against the Terps with five taking place at Clemson or neutral sites
- Starting with the earlier game against Maryland Clemson forward Jerai Grant is averaging 12.4 points and 9.2 rebounds per game and shooting 71.8% from the floor
- In his last three games Clemson’s Andre Young is shooting 50% (9/18) from 3-point range
- Landon Milbourne has scored in double digits only once in the last four games averaging 7.3 points, 4.5 rebounds and shooting 36% from the floor during that span
- Jordan Williams is averaging 13 points and 11.3 rebounds over his last three games while shooting 69.5% from the floor
- Greivis Vasquez has never scored more than 15 points against Clemson averaging 12 points, 4.6 assists and shooting 41% from the field (his career numbers against Miami are worse in case you were wondering)
- The last two wins Clemson had at Comcast Center were by three (let us not talk of this) and four points
- Terrapins are 10-3 in February home games the last four seasons
Demontez Stitt and Trevor Booker will probably get a fair amount of attention tonight but as you can see above Andre Young and Jerai Grant have been doing more to help Clemson win lately than either of the “stars” for the Tigers.
Jason Gasaway over at the Basketball Prospectus pities the 2 seed that may draw Maryland in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. I imagine Mike Montgomery was pretty upset to see his 7 seed Cal team have to face a streaking 10 seed Maryland last year. If Duke ends up with a 2 seed, which seems likely, that would eliminate Maryland from their half of the bracket and that leaves the other consensus 2 seeds as: Villanova, West Virginia and Kansas State. I doubt any of those teams want to face an experienced and dangerous team like Maryland so early.