Sunday, December 19, 2010

Fridge out as head coach, Anderson to hire Mike Leach

It has been the wildest weekend in Maryland football since the Terps beat N.C. State to go to the Orange Bowl and win the ACC in 2001. Ralph Friedgen was informed he would not be granted the extension he had hoped for after winning 8 games and being named ACC coach of the year. It now appears that Friedgen will either negotiate a buyout of his contract or be terminated next week. Former Texas Tech head coach Mike Leach has become the target of AD Kevin Anderson to replace Friedgen. If Anderson is able to land Leach it would certainly prove that he is willing to take drastic action to elevate Maryland football beyond its current level.

I'll post my thoughts on the subject tomorrow, or as events unfold. In the mean time here is an interesting article by Sally Jenkins of the Washington Post on Leach and the controversy surrounding him at Texas Tech.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said! I believe you got all the pertinent points.
Having said that, I have to also say that I'm not entirely comfortable with the possibility of Leach as coach, given the issues over the Adam James case. I know there are always two sides (at least) to every story, but a number of TT players claimed there had been other "disciplinary occurrences. If there were nothing there, I am doubtful the U would have canned him. Well, redemption is always possible, I guess.