Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Terp women win first title

The Maryland women's team won the national title the other night against Duke. As per usual the students in College Park decided it was a good excuse for another night of rioting. I guess the current crop of students don't mind turning themselves into a punch line. Hardly a cheap shot on my part. The current crop of students deserve all the ridicule they get. I've got news for you kids: you're not the cool, funny and irreverent guy at the party. You're the drunken jackass who breaks things, insults the party hosts and ends up crapping in someone's closet. The fool with the lamp shade on his head that everyone mocks.

I'm not going to go into the game. I don't mean to offend anyone but I don't have any interest in women's basketball, even if it involves Maryland. If you want analysis you can tune into ESPN and watch Stacey Dales-Schuman try to convince you that you'll want to watch women's basketball because they now have the dunk. I'm not shilling for ratings so I'm not going to follow her lead. I did find it interesting that NCAA investigators had interviewed a number of current Maryland players on their recruitment and that the Washington Post published a story in which current women's coaches questioned the tactics of Brenda Frese. Not exactly what you'd hope the read with the team getting its first national title.

6 comments:

Weasel said...

Women's basketball is about as relevant as women's fieldhockey, meaning not much at all. That is the truth. Women's basketball is brutal to watch, no slick advertising campaign by ESPN can change that.

terp grad said...

whats with all the negativity, Maryland wins the woman's title in one of the most exciting games of the year and all you can do is complain aobut the students. Maybe the studnets aren't the not the cool, funny and irreverent guy at the party, but neither are you, you becoming a downer in fact.

Spring football has started.

Anonymous said...

you are the most bitter person I have ever read

irwin robinson said...

First let me say that I admire what you are doing here and love reading it.
However I do think tat you are a little heavy in two areas.:
"per usual the current crop of students deserve "criticism ?
Shouldn't that read that those relative few who caused trouble are at fault?
Also that the NCAA asked some questions over aggressive
recruiting by Friese as a fault? Is it possible that more effective and aggressive Men's Basketball recruiting would prevent Uconn Duke N.C. and Syracuse from regularly taking prospects from under our noses? I have sources in close that tell me that that is the Men"s problem

Esquire said...

As an Alumnus I feel the actions of the students, even if they are a minority, bring embarrassment and shame upon themselves and the University. Many, many people have dedicated their careers to raise Maryland to a respectable place among national universities. They don't deserve to have their hard work undermined by a few idiots who wish to destroy private property, provoke the police and act like fools. A student was injured in the "riot" that ensued after the women's victory. It is only a matter of time before someone is seriously injured or killed in these predictable outbursts of chaos. That is something I cannot abide.

P-man said...

Well said.